Derp Squad Nexus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preparing to Cast Off (Umiruka and Kachidoki)

2 posters

Go down

Preparing to Cast Off (Umiruka and Kachidoki) Empty Preparing to Cast Off (Umiruka and Kachidoki)

Post by Doggy Sat May 12, 2018 4:32 pm

"Excuse me" a male voice called out in Japanese tradition before entering a room. He opened the door to the Magallanica Branch Director's office, a neat assortment of papers grasped in his hand. Kachidoki's long flowing purple hair drifted behind him, just barely clearing the door he had closed behind him. "Nanana-san?" he asked, looking for the director's attention if she was busy.

The Zoo event had ended a number of days ago. Things had been going crazy at Magallanica since then due to the preparations for the second event. The Aimless Blade was clearly fatigued from the the last few long days of work but at the same time he appreciated staying busy. He'd had less time to linger on certain things of late and could almost be said to be in a good mood generally at times. But this was less apparent when it came to paperwork which was part of what brought him here today.

"Nanana-san we've received word from the printing company that they're having difficulty getting the map pieces to look as aged and worn as you instructed." he said while placing down a letter from the company stating as much and offering a less authentic feel or else requiring additional payment.

"There's been a bit of a dispute with a few of the staff employees about their overtime pay with regards to the event preparations" he said, placing down a few more papers with complaints from the employees and the payroll manager explaining it from his side of things. Apparently they weren't going to be appeased without word from the Director herself which seemed childish.

"And finally, we've received word from Director Minami that there was a small bit of trouble at the Zoo event. As he was required to leave the event early he wasn't able to confirm the identity of the person but a participant was supposedly threatening or otherwise scaring some of the others. Even so far as to put a young girl into shock. He advises we be wary of a repeat offense and can only offer what a Hikari Sugimoto described as a woman in red as a description." he said placing the last of his papers down which was a letter from Rikuto.

Paperwork is fun.
Doggy
Doggy

Back to top Go down

Preparing to Cast Off (Umiruka and Kachidoki) Empty Re: Preparing to Cast Off (Umiruka and Kachidoki)

Post by Best Girl Sat May 12, 2018 5:03 pm

"Ah-" Umi's head perked up from her head, having previous buried it in her arms. The bottle of rum she had close by was empty, numerous tissues were found in a nearby waste basket with some messily thrown on the floor, and the picture of the red haired woman had been moved from the table on the side to her desk. "Buh-" The pirate woman rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, hoping the puffiness having died down from what was gauged to be crying. Her hopes were answered, but it wasn't completely gone. With a groan, she heard out her assistant's reports on some issues and a message from Rikuto. "Bwuuuhhhh..." Emitting zombie-like noises, she was not ready for a wave of work after an unscheduled nap, readjusting herself in her comfy chair and turning her computer back on to prepare.

"Difficulty...? You're kidding me, they're tryin' to scam us. Tell them to work it out with what we're paying or I'm gonna come down there, and they don't want me to come down there." The reputation of the Seventh Cutlass was that of an incredibly violent woman - a scourge that traveled across the seven seas. While she was much more mild tempered and motherly, she could very easily live up to the barbaric tales of savages at sea if people tested her patience. Which brought her to the next problem: payrolls. "As for the staff here..." She took the papers he sat down, ignoring the letter from the other company. "... King Artorias is gonna throw a fit if I give everyone more for the event preparation. They're not doing enough to warrant more as it is, I'd think." She pondered on if the work was truly that droning and laborious enough for complaints while neatly stacking the papers in a pile, making a mental note to reread over the whole thing later.

This left a matter from Zoo. She had expected it to be about Seth, but it was instead about some woman in red that threatened and terrified numerous people while putting a poor girl into shock. Just what she needed: something else to stress out about when the event comes. "I'll keep it in mind." Umi spoke with some dread in her voice, lamenting more problems in the future. "I'll give this all another read over. I need a drink..."

Giving some heaving grunts, the director got out of her seat, approaching a refrigerator she kept in the office to grab herself another bottle of alcoholic bliss. "Would you like one, Kachidoki?"
Best Girl
Best Girl
Administrator

https://derpnexus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Preparing to Cast Off (Umiruka and Kachidoki) Empty Re: Preparing to Cast Off (Umiruka and Kachidoki)

Post by Doggy Sat May 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Kachidoki was almost sad to admit to himself he'd grown somewhat used to finding the Director like this. She'd very clearly been busy drinking and crying and sleeping even it seemed. And yet no matter what she was experiencing, she always snapped quickly into focus to accomplish her role in things. It was admirable to the man who struggled to find a single joy in life to see one likewise troubled yet still so capable. Of a truth, she inspired him to hold on just a bit longer. It seemed an odd thing to bond over yet its influence couldn't be denied.

The Aimless Blade readied notes for any of the Director's instructions as she spoke. The first reaction was expected. The whole of the letter did seem to be a bit of a money grab. But the threat of Umiruka, the Seventh Cutlass, paying a personal visit to your business would likely cause them to fall into line. He smiled softly as he simply wrote 'Threaten them with Nanana-san'. He calmly agreed with the woman's response to the staff complaints and didn't want to think of Artorias chewing out anyone, much less Umi. Despite the state he'd found her in, the news from Zoo seemed to incline her to drink again. And while he thought perhaps she ought not to, he found himself tempted by the offer.

"I suppose one couldn't hurt." he said calmly as he took a seat across her desk. He wasn't one to drink to excess but he did enjoy his alcohol from time to time. His fatigue seemed to catch up with him now that he'd taken a moment to stop. The man's thoughts drifted to the generation of young fighters that would soon flood into the branch and with which he would have to do battle. Five years ago he was trying to cut similar bright lights down and yet now he needed them for guidance.

"I wonder what path they'll take..." he said aloud, perhaps unintentionally. He looked distantly out a window in the room as he was prone to. His gaze was always far off and clouded. Nothing seemed clear to him anymore.
Doggy
Doggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Sat May 12, 2018 5:52 pm

"One never does." Umi smiled at Kachidoki accepting her offer, taking another bottle and bumping her hip to the fridge door, closing it. The redhead in the frame - after a bit of simple deduction from anyone who really looked - seemed to be the source of her woes. Because it was her right hand - her first mate - that had often found her in such a state, the pirate woman took comfort in knowing he wouldn't drill her with questions. The connection between her and the picture caused an untold amount of grief that made crying herself into unplanned sleep routine... with some of the devil's nectar, of course. It was saddening that the two bonded ovr their quiet misery, but it brought solace to their minds.

At least there was someone else out there who understood.

Passing the purple haired swordsman a glass of stress-relieving goodness, she plopped down into her seat and took a quick swig. As good as a maternal figure she was, she needed to relax lest she start using bottles to beat the problems out of people. It was as unhealthy as it sounded.

"What path, huh?" Umi couldn't help but take note of her vocalized thoughts. "It'll sure be interesting to see. I've heard about some of the new kids coming up, got some foreign champions which lets you know even the best still have places to go." Speaking optimistically, the sorrow of yesterday was pushed out ever so slightly whenever they had a relaxing conversation together.
Best Girl
Best Girl
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Doggy Sat May 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Umi responding to his question brought Kachi's gaze back into the room where his eyes caught the picture the Director kept at this desk. He'd never seen this woman in person and could only guess the reasons as to why. But as Umi had never dug into the source of his troubles he felt it not his place to attempt to do so to her. Some things didn't need speaking to make sense. Deep sadness and emptiness were two such things when two similarly afflicted souls met. Alcohol was another. With a sip of the drink the man relaxed some, letting the tension in his shoulders out for what must have been the first time in two days.

"Heh, foreign champions? Either this wave of fighters is a force to be reckoned with our or brethren outside of Japan need to sharpen their blades." he said, always able and willing to bring sword talk into things. This was of coursed aided by the katana he always kept at his side, even now calmly sitting in its deep black sheath. Another sip, more tension released in places Kachidoki hadn't even known he was tense. "I simply hope there will be room for some extra baggage wherever it is they decide to go." he said. His opinion of himself was clearly not very high. Another sip.

"So long as they keep the taverns and bars around I suppose there will always be a place for us in their future."
Doggy
Doggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Sat May 12, 2018 6:24 pm

"Ha, that's what I told Hana. I think it was Aoi Undyne and Sakuya Fagan she mentioned. The latter isn't exactly one of the new winds, but she's got some promise, I hear. The former... well, I only talked to her twice over video calls, but let's just say I never thought I'd meet an idiot savant for Vanguard of all things. She's Fubuki's friend from what I hear too." Umi replied to his remark on the foreign fighters, tapping away her dainty digits at the keyboard on desk. Opening two tabs, the FICA registered profiles for the two in question were brought up with one having less information from being in the United Sanctuary rather than Magallanica. "Might have to lend 'em a hand if it comes to blade sharpening though." The pirate woman snickered over the sword-related comment while turning the computer's screen for the samurai to see.

"It's a small world. I heard the Irish Champ is supposed to be hanging around Japan too. Everyone came over to the country despite being the top of their own, huh." It was definitely no exaggeration to say the Rising Sun nation's Vanguard was the supreme force of the global community. The game originated here and numerous residents of the land were the best of the best, likely having the strongest association banded together as well. "Korea, China, Ireland, then Mister 'King of European Vanguard' right in our own branches... Man, I get kinda stressed out thinking about how many crazy strong people migrated here."

And with stress came a few gulps of relieving sweetness that burned at her throat, causing her to bring the bottle down with a relaxed, satisfied sighing. Though, she mindlessly stared at the glass for a few moments, pondering Kachidoki's words on keeping taverns and bars around. "... Y'know..." Her pirate dialect began seeping a bit. "There ought to be some kinda club for us ol' sea dogs to gather in. We can't be the only blokes and lassies feelin' this way, and they be wantin' a place too." Sometimes, her manner of speaking this way contrasted her feminine tone heavily.
Best Girl
Best Girl
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Doggy Sat May 12, 2018 6:40 pm

"Aoi Undyne..." he said with a contemplative tone as Umi reviewed some of the foreign champions. He'd avoided direct confrontation with her in the war but it was a face and name he knew well. He often pondered how a girl like her could so calmly go about her life here as if nothing had happened. This thought was interrupted by Umi's play off of his sword comment. She had an appreciation for the blade as well though her's was of a different style and make. Still it was another point of quiet understanding. All who raise a sword against another experience many of the same emotions. The Director continued her list, mentioning an Irish Champion and the champion of Europe in general now serving as a Branch Director. Even Umi felt a tension from being among so many strong fighters.

"I agree. And to think the seven stand above them all still." he said referencing the Grand Sanctuary. There was no lack of achievement among the fighters of the association. But those seven at the top were a cut above the rest. They didn't dwell on the point long before Umi had another idea, punctuated with a slip into her pirate mode of speaking which Kachidoki didn't entirely understand but always found amusing. It made it hard to remember this was a woman before him when she got really into it.

"A group of people like us... The thought alone is depressing and yet oddly comforting." he said, considering the idea. There weren't many he could call friends but one did come in mind at the idea. "I ought to introduce you to Solis over at Dragon Empire some day Nanana-san. I think you'd like him. He holds his drink a fair better than I." he said with a smile as he referenced his Director's favorite pass time.
Doggy
Doggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Sat May 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Umi began to turn her monitor around back in its proper place, leaning back in her chair with a sigh as her cohort spoke his mind. The Grand Sanctuary was the most intimidating force in the country and arguably the planet since they had power on par with the government. It was hard to imagine how vastly powerful Vanguard's influence was... Hell, the pirate woman was worried they could overthrow the Japanese Emperor, and with one radical branch director declaring a revolt... "Hoo boy." Came from her lips, having some concerns for the future as she took another sip. "Solis, eh?" Her salty sea dog speech continued. "Ah, I recall ye mentioned somethin' about a comrade o' yours. That posh sun knight fellow? I thought he be the slightest bit uptight."

Though, just like with Jellal, she didn't exactly get to meet most of the other officials for other branches. She only new the directors well enough while the other secretaries did their own thing and had quickly introduced themselves. But the sun knight was in Dragon Empire, she recalled... But the right hand of the branch is Karin Ouriel. "Get us n' the lad into a pub and I'd gladly have a drink wid' 'em." A group like the two of them would be even more sadder to think about, but they all would have and understand one another. Solis may be someone who knows what Kachidoki could be going through.

Good place to pry without feeling bad too.
Best Girl
Best Girl
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Doggy Sat May 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Kachidoki had to laugh at Umi's description of his friend the Sun God Solis. More because of its accuracy than anything else.

"It's true, he's a well composed man. Better than most even. He and I were united over common views and values in the past. We fought together for those beliefs and how have both been shown humanity does not agree with us. But you would hardly guess he harbors the feelings I do anymore. He seems to know something of how to move on that I sorely lack." he said, happy to discuss his friend. But it also prompted the finishing of his glass of mind numb-er. Perhaps he thought Solis might have some insight for the two of them. Maybe he just wanted a chance to catch up with a friend. But regardless he was happy Umi was open to the idea of the three of them doing something together, even if that something was drinking.

"I'll ask him about it after our event is concluded. Dragon Empire's isn't for some time after so our schedules should more readily align."
Doggy
Doggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Sat May 12, 2018 11:48 pm

"Ye two be havin' strong feelin's toward it all, eh?" Umi wouldn't pretend she understood their fight of beliefs and convictions against humanity. When it came to war, she assumed it was about the Reaper Invasion... she was dealing with it away from the major, recorded bloodbaths that Kachidoki and Solis must've been combating through. If Solis felt the same way as the Aimless Blade before her... Yeah, she definitely wouldn't believe it if he was as composed as rumored. It was almost a little scary, as she had a hard enough time getting through her day without staring down an empty bottle with the picture of the redhead nearby. "He knows how to move on, huh..." Her feminine tone mixed with her pirate dialect.

Honestly, Umi would give anything for that knowledge.

"After the event sounds good," her salty sea speech fading. "It's the best time to unwind. I'd like to know more about you and this friend of yours too." The woman smiled before realizing she had finished her own glass... and sighed in disappointment as she stared at her reflection in the red bottle.
Best Girl
Best Girl
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Doggy Sun May 13, 2018 12:49 am

Bringing up the war was perhaps a mistake on Kachidoki's part. All it did was serve to sour his otherwise peaceful mood he'd been experiencing in the conversation with Umi. He sat back in his seat having brought the whole run of emotions back to him. He'd fought against the future of the world and now it was here and he had no idea what he was to do with it. But he wouldn't let himself get caught up in it all. Not here at least. He had work to complete. The Aimless Blade took his empty cup in hand and clinked it up against the edge of Umi's.

"To a successful event." he said, initiating a toast after the drink was already gone. It seemed fitting. He took a moment to collect himself then stood and thanked Umi for her time and stated he had some last bits of paperwork to trudge through before the end of the day. He then excused himself, entering as politely as he came.
Doggy
Doggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Mon May 14, 2018 12:07 am

Umi was staring off into space, looking sadly at her reflection before Kachidoki's glass tipped hers. A toast... after they had finished their drinks. That didn't seem effective, but he was content with it, so she was too as shown by a slight grin. With a satisfied huff, the branch director returned the toast and leaned back in her chair once he prepared to leave. "To life gettin' just a little bit easier every day, too." The pirate woman said, giving an offering to the two weary souls. The wounds of yesterday - the scars... they still burn, but a pinch of hope and a dash of optimism can take these two somewhere. At the very least, enough to get them through their days as they watched over the advancing new generation and reformed veterans.

Umi was more than content with having another meeting of relatable feelings with her cohort, now encouraged by their growing bond to get to work.
Best Girl
Best Girl
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down